Subscribe

Comment Feed (RSS)

Friday, August 26, 2005

(Some of) The Reddest skies you've ever seen in Seattle

Not sure how I can expect any of you to pick up the reference in the title, and not even with previous SHoP posts to help you out. All of my friends who might read this blog are 27. And despite my repeated advice, still don't listen to the Don and Mike Show. Talk radio at it's finest, Citizen SHoPpers. If you liked Michael Savage, you'll love Don and Mike.1

Not sure how old Mystery SHoP Commenter Mark Nicodemo is. But if I had to guess? I'd say he's still not old enough...

So if you've been keeping an ear to the railroad track within the past day, you might've caught wind of the recent bona fide black-on-white Hate Crime in Seattle (links here and here and here). You probably dig the whole black-dudes-beating-down-some-white-soldiers angle for the Hate Crime (not that it in any way is guaranteed to go down that way or even be spun that way in the media). But what about the soldier angle? I wouldn't put that past Seattle either. If you drive north to Everett or south to Tacoma and Olympia and Fort Lewis you can start to escape the hatred of the capitalist-jingo-theocrat-military conspiracy (heh. I still got the out-liberalling chops). But in Seattle proper, it's becoming a Diet San Francisco.2 It may not taste better,3 but the Emerald City sure smells better than the City by the Bay, except for that one corner where the bus dropped me off by Union Station. (Ash Way P&R to Fourth and Washington)

OK. But let's put those Seattle bad-vibes back in the protective case for now, and let's take a look at something Reddish to come out of the home of my AL West cellar-dwelling Mariners.4

excerpt from Diners have sweet surprise for soldier, girlfriend
by Susan Gilmore, Seattle Times
A few minutes later, a man at a nearby table — who wanted to remain anonymous — walked up to the restaurant owner. "I was noticing the young soldier and saw them looking at the menu," he told Canlis. "I know he was looking at prices and I know this is a special thing, so I would like to take care of part of their bill."

Then another family, the Greenbergs, said they, too, wanted to help pay for the meal. By the end of the night several patrons had, unknown to Yanez, offered to pay for the young couple's meal. With Canlis also sharing the costs, the $150 bill evaporated.

Yanez and Coleman were sharing a peach-cobbler dessert when Canlis walked up with a piece of molten chocolate lava cake.

"There's folks in this restaurant who don't think you should have to share a dessert," Canlis told the couple. "And they don't think you should pay the bill."
Can you see this happening in San Francisco? And if it did, can you see this making the Chronicle? (Not sure how this slipped into the Times, tell you the truth.)

happy Fri-dee,
Jihad Jimmy, Minister of War Crimes and Chief Defender of the Faith
1 I first heard D&M on Seattle's own KQBZ The Buzz. They were on right before Tom Leykis, before the tom leykis show became worthless. Seattlites, Don and Mike are streaming now, so you don't need to move to Spokane to listen to them. I haven't lived in Seattle-land for more than two years now, but if you check my presets on my radio, you'll see The Buzz is still on there. I didn't change them yet.

2 So you have San Francisco. You also have North San Francisco-- Seattle-- which is SF's presentable cousin from up north who bathes. You also have Berkeley, which has been likened to "a tiny San Francisco on crack." And lucky for me, I've spent copious amounts of time in all of these excellent cities. No really, I love these cities despite their politics and lack of common sense. Good eats, good football/baseball, intelligent women.

3 Up in Seattle, their fish and chips aren't the beer battered kind. They use breadcrumbs or something. And our "soda" tastes better than their "pop". Heh.

4 All of one entire game behind my beloved Giants. My dream of a Giants-Mariners world series will wait yet another year.