Subscribe

Comment Feed (RSS)

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

A Rude Awakening

Was talking with Tio Jaime this morning. Seems that he was running a bit behind schedule, as he's had a late night. I, too, had stayed up past my bedtime (playing Xbox games and such). I would have suffered the same fate as my fellow liberalophobic friend here, had it not been for not one but two loud booms that occurred around 5 in the morning, local time. 'Course, I have my multiple alarms normally set between 4:45 and 5:20 in the AM, hoping that at least one would finally get my groggy self out of bed in time for work. So I naturally attributed the aberrant sound to one of them.

Later I come to find out that the bangs actually originated from the space shuttle Discovery as it re-entered Earth's atmosphere and subsequently landed in Edwards Air Force Base near Mojave, CA. I live in Palmdale which is a mere hop, skip and apparently sonic boom away from Mojave.

So yeah, that was fun. One of my colleagues said she felt her house shake. But all joking aside, I congratulate the whole NASA space shuttle team for the hard work they put into making the STS-114 mission a shining success!