Subscribe

Comment Feed (RSS)

Monday, March 27, 2006

Is the press really this stupid?

I know when I went to high school, I was one of the rare few who actually followed current events and who actually had a firm grasp of national politics. So you will forgive me if I call BS to the national press' reports of students walking out of classes to protest because they know the issues.
more protesting
Who out there that has a brain will choose the right answer from the following two choices:
A. Boy, those students are staging walk-outs because they're well-informed and they're concerned about the plight of the ILLEGAL immigrant.
B. They're ditching school because they can, they're on TV, and they don't really give two shits about what happens.

This issue, to me, is rather simple to fix, yet hard to implement because:
A. Politicians suck (almost universally)
B. The People are stupid (almost universally)
C. States' Rights/Power have been castrated since they allowed the people to vote for Senators.

Actually, now that I think about it, every problem in this country can be attributed to the above 3 reasons.

One of the things that pisses me off when I hear these protestors interviewed...this is a common quote:
"This country was founded on immigrants"

Notice how these protestors are conveniently leaving out the important modifier, 'ILLEGAL'. Ellis Island comes to mind, as an example locale where EVERY SINGLE IMMIGRANT that came by boat to the east coast to become a LEGAL immigrant. I think most people in this country wouldn't have a problem with LEGAL immigrants. Ironically, the throngs of people shown protesting on the news actualizes most to the enormous size of the problem we do have with ILLEGAL immigrants in this country. It's really dismaying to see no one fixing this problem, and I'm sure I'll have more to say on the subject in the next few days.