Subscribe

Comment Feed (RSS)

Monday, January 31, 2005

Free Plug for a new San Diego Restaurant, Portugalia

Going off-topic for a bit--

I want to mention an awesome 3-month old restaurant in San Diego (Ocean Beach), called Portugalia. I had the opportunity to eat at this restaurant yesterday, and I was amazed with its authentic and outstanding food. It's a travesty that until recently, there were no remaining Portuguese restaurants or bakeries remaining in this area, considering the entire city of San Diego credits its first European discoverer as Portuguese (Cabrillo--a common misconception is that he was Spanish).

Considering how difficult it is for a new, non-chain restaurant to survive in any city, I figured I could give it a helping hand considering how amazing and authentic the food is there. I met the owner, and I can tell you it is a labor of love for him. His future plans with the restaurant includes opening a shop to sell both Portuguese and Brazilian foods, wines, and cheeses. I recommend the Espetada Madeirense. It's outstanding.