Subscribe

Comment Feed (RSS)

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Some final thoughts before the election

It's no surprise who I've voted for in the 2004 election. You can see by scrolling down to the picture from my absentee ballot. Was my ballot an exercise in futility? After all, I am voting in the blue state of California... Well, probably. But I knew I wouldn't feel good about myself unless I did my part.

This entire election season has opened my eyes much more than it did in 2000. The 2000 elections were not nearly as important to me. I didn't like either candidate. I was still bitter that my man John McCain wasn't the one who was in there. Reluctantly, I cast my vote for George Bush. I sensed in George Bush, ironically to some Democrats, that he had a liar's demeanor...I likened him to a slippery used car salesman back in 2000. And, yes, I thought he was none-too-bright. But I disliked Al Gore even more. Not only was he a reminder of the Clinton presidency (who brought dishonor to the office of the executive), but Gore was arrogant and self-serving. And to me, that was worse.

My years in the US Navy taught me that just because a person doesn't have "full mastery of the english language" or speaks slowly or mispronunciates words does not mean he is not intelligent. And I was pleasantly suprised by the determination shown by the President who has fought the war on terror bravely and consistently. Has he made mistakes? Sure. Is he doing the best he can? I believe so. Is he a liar? No more than President Clinton ever was, if you believe GWB even lied at all. I don't believe this president "misled" us into a "diversion" despite what I said in April 2003 that if there turned out to be no WMD's found in Iraq, Bush would likely lose in '04. Like everyone else, I was almost certain we'd find them and was disappointed when we didn't.

But my personal experiences have shown me that this world is a lot more dangerous than a lot of people are willing to believe, and it was that way long before 9/11. And despite what bad feelings people have about GWB, I think history will be a much better judge of his actions. Perhaps history will bemoan the actions of the mainstream media in 50 years. I do that right now.

My prediction on who will win? Unfortunately, my gut tells me it will be Kerry. Sure, President Bush will get millions more this time 'round with the evangelical and uber-christian vote (who may have stayed at home after 2000's October suprise), more jewish voters, and 10% more of the black vote, but I do not think it will be enough to go against the 18-24 crowd in the critical swing states. I think they will take the victory away from him. I do not have faith in the crowd who will irresponsibly let themselves be influenced by smarmy Hollywood-types who think they know better than everyone else. I am loathe to think what poor winners the left could be.

Mark my words though, the Kerry presidency, should there be one, will be disastrous. They will blame everything on Bush. I can guarantee right now it will be a one-termer unless the economy continues to improve (not due to the actions of Kerry). And if the GOP is smart, they will pick John McCain in 2008.

Pessimistic? No. I'm a realist, folks. Deal with it.