Sunday, April 01, 2007

No Magic Dog this time, but I seem to be the only one that noticed...

Saw Premonition tonight with a friend. We saw the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes first, but we still wanted to go check it out. Bear in mind, Citizen SHoPpers, that this is the same friend who I managed to convince to see The Butterfly Effect. After that Ashton Kutcher pukefest, I told her, in what I thought was pretty clearly a self-deprecating jab, that "she was my only friend stupid enough to want to see it with me."

I guess it wasn't interpreted that way. I finally clarified that comment tonight, on the way to Premonition.

WTF. I'm gathering up the links above, and how the fuck did The Butterfly Effect get a 33% on rotten tomatoes, but Premonition only got an 8%?!?

Go check out those links above if you haven't already, and if you trust your Favorite SHoP Overlord Tio Jaime enough, go check out the movie itself. If you're brave enough to withstand the ridicule of your friends.

I'll nitpick movies, sure, and this one certainly deserved it, but I'll still recommend this movie. Despite gaping plot holes (which it seems that everybody is picking up on), I was still entertained and kept in suspense and most importantly able to follow along. I can't speak for the Leftist Blue-State Fuck-ups around me, but this rednecky oriental was able to follow it wire-to-wire.

I'll take you through the plot holes. Don't worry, this shouldn't spoil anything.


PLOT HOLE #1 - SO, REALLY, WHAT'S WITH THE FUCKED UP SPACE-TIME CONTINUUM?
Well, really, this movie seems to have taken its cues from Sandra Bullock's previous time-travel clusterfuck and ran the credits before they took the time to explain why time was all fucked up. (and as above, a clusterfuck that scored higher than even The Butterfly Effect)

The Magic Dog noted in the post title can be referenced in that wikipedia entry. Helpful timeline too. But in Sandra Bullock's film both here and last year, we're just supposed to overlook the science-fictiony gimmick? Dude, not this engineer, no sir. i already overlooked the fact that a bus can't take a cloverleaf off-ramp at over 50mph while clinging to the outer-facing sides of cars such that it doesn't explode.

PLOT HOLE #2 - WAIT, IF HER DAUGHTER'S FACE WAS CUT ON TUES-DEE, WHY DIDN'T WE SEE THE STITCHES WHEN THE MOVIE STARTED UP ON A THURS-DEE?
Well this would've detracted from the funeral on Satur-dee. C'mon now, concentrate on her pajamas!

PLOT HOLE #3 - WHAT ABOUT HER BEING COMITTED? WHAT ABOUT THE GRANDMOTHER ACTING IRRATIONALLY ABOUT THE CHILD ABUSE ANGLE? HOW DID THOSE GET RESOLVED?
She went to sleep and woke up the next morning wearing something different because it was a different day. What don't you understand about that?
I know that I'm dwelling on these holes long enough to stay up late and write a SHoP post about them, but that still doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the movie. I enjoyed it a lot, and honestly can't see why it rated so low on Rotten Tomatoes.

Especially compared to The Lake House and The Butterfly Effect.

Jihad Jimmy, Minister of War Crimes and Chief Defender of the Faith

<update time="0148">
Late night Cal Glockenspiel chat! Live girls standing by, waiting to talk to you!!!

did you notice how the girl broke her face on Tuesday but was totally fine on Thursday?
1:40 AM
CalGlockJimmy: where'd you go today?
CalGlockChristine: Japantown
CalGlockChristine: and Metreon
CalGlockChristine: and we watched Premonition
CalGlockChristine: don't watch it
CalGlockChristine: it sucks!
CalGlockJimmy: dude, we watched Premonition!
CalGlockJimmy: i thought it was pretty cool!
CalGlockJimmy: i'm blogging about it right now
CalGlockChristine: really?
CalGlockChristine: heheh
CalGlockJimmy: i'll send you a link in a few minutes
CalGlockChristine: I mean, Sandtra Bullock was okay
CalGlockChristine: But the rest of the cast was kind of blah
CalGlockChristine: did you notice how the girl broke her face on Tuesday but was totally fine on Thursday?
CalGlockJimmy: yah, that was one of my main beefs
CalGlockJimmy: apparently everybody's writing about that
CalGlockChristine: lol
CalGlockChristine: I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me
CalGlockChristine: but yeah
1:45 AM
CalGlockJimmy: sixhertz.blogspot.com
CalGlockJimmy: top post
CalGlockChristine: okay

</update>